Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Game 1: Win 17-7...aka "why didn't you swing, that was a meatball"




...words muttered by our very own catcher Capshaw, talking to the other team...about one of my pitches. Thanks for the support Bags, you were probably tipping my pitches too...




Opening Day for the Ringers last night at beautiful Mike Jackman field in Medford. Official stats aren't in so I will wing this one a bit. Bags was behind the dish, Richards on the hill, first was held down by Crowley and "Smith", Sweet at 2bag, Timmy at 3bag, Mbags at SS, OF of Sammy, McGrath, Danny, Boonton.


Game got off to a tough start as a line drive hit that mine field they call LF and gave Sammy some trouble, place is a nightmare out there. A few early miscues gave way to some stellar D with Timmy leading the web gems with some great plays at the Hot Corner, and man thats hot over there. Sweet some great scoops on some force outs at 2B. McGrath held a guy to a triple racing down a bomb hit off me, the stranded him at third, big play. Danny played a good center "I got it....I think", catch made.


As advertised I had no walks, gave up a few shots though. once I realized they couldnt hit anything above their waist I just pounded the strike zone and Bags called a great game behind the dish. Had a 1-2-3 inning, I don't even think I had one in High School...it was hard when Josh is giving me the middle finger catching and Sully is meowing in CF.


Boonton was obviously late, forgot his keys or something, and then steps in and goes 3for4 I believe. Just like Wade Boggs' chicken before the game, Boonton now has his pre-game ritual. Danny hit a bomb, Sam hit a ground ball and muttered "wow that is so geyyyyy" as he ran to first. Josh finished up the Mercy Rule in the 6th with a jack and almost ran over Sweet running to home plate. They say only A-holes wear a jersey with a "#1" on it, this still holds true. No stats, missing some stuff, Timmy 2 huge sac-flys, McGrath a shot down right field line followed up by a "gentleman's turn" at the bag...just respecting the game the way it is supposed to be played, Danny a dinger, Riz 3-4, Bagshaw had a single robbed by a pinball play pitcher to second to first. Good hitting all around and if I forgot you I apologize, I was trying to put as many seeds down Josh's shirt as possible. Feel free to comment on it with stuff I didn't see or anything of note.


Seen in the crowd: Alice Thompson with her dog "Pol Pot", Liz Seppa, Rudelyn Smith setting a new sunflower seed record, a kid that was a cross between Frank Getek and Mark DeRose. I thought I heard ol' Terry Smith yell "Fries are ready" from the concession stand as I was in my windup but I think I just still have flashbacks...


Not seen: anyone related to Joe Sullivan, Nina, Selchan, Tim McKenna, and anyone Crowley has luged with. Also not seen was this gentleman. Good Game guys. Thanks for the D.


1 comment:

  1. Well done. Strong start to the season. Unfortunately, that might be ol' Pol Pot's one and only appearance this season, given her borderline insanity last night. The only thing I would add would be McGrath's mastery of the 'gentleman's turn' around first after a frozen rope to RF...

    ReplyDelete